Brown Brothers is a full service butcher shop offering a complete line of fresh quality meats, hand prepared in-store.
Currently a report of Brown Brother's history is being prepared by Pat Gasparro.
Pat in his teens started to request archiving photos from the Market Gallery and found the Brown Bros history inside the St. Lawrence Market is farther back that anyone knew. He started collecting documents and soon will give a true story of Brown Bros butchers in the market. The report will explain the Brown Brothers history in the St. Lawrence Market North Building, it's current location in the South Building, St. Andrew's Market, St. Patrick's Market and other Toronto locations.
Pat's dad Tony purchased the store from the Brown family in the 1970’s and he has been operating the store to date along with his wife Claudette, sons Pat and Joe. Tony is a fourth generation butcher.
Pat's report is a decades long process of examining photos, archival documents, written and oral history. Pat in his teens made his first request of black and white photos from the Market Gallery. He wanted to find out if the “Since 1895” is a correct date of Brown Brothers in the Market?
The report will have the history of Brown Brothers Meats, it will be verified by a genealogist and will not released to the public to respect the privacy of family members.
Dates will be released to the public to provide a completed version of Brown Brothers Limited which is still providing food service in Toronto from the 1800's.
Photo Credit: Pat Gasparr
A photo of Brown Brothers at the same stall it occupies presently inside the St. Lawrence Market South . Date unknown.
Donated: Brown Family
A photo taken in the same stall it occupies presently inside the St. Lawrence Market South Building . Date1920's. Butchers would work all night to prep for Toronto's early morning Christmas shopping crowd.
Donated: Mr. Bob Huff and son Rob Huff.
The Brown family, pictured is William Brown, his wife and 7 kids.
Donated: Brown Family.
William Brown preparing fresh meats at the same stall presently inside the St. Lawrence Market South Building.
In the foreground is Toronto's first City Hall (opened 1845) with it's bright colored stone arches still visible today. The market vendor at the arch was John Abate Fruits along with Harris Abattoir Co LTD and the St. Lawrence Market Superintendent Office.
Donated: Brown Family.
Close-up view of Broadway Street, Round Pond, Oklahoma Territory.
Shopkeepers and customers pose in doorway, By Kennett, January 1894.
This photo was given to to us by customer. Later on while Pat was investigating the origin of this this print found it in the U.S. Archives.
Credit: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration.
National Archives Identifier #540094